I really liked this Weight Watchers recipe! A different way to prepare chicken! I subbed the jasmine rice for brown rice. 9 pp per serving.
What you need:
- 1 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), four 4 oz pieces
- 3 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 tsp ground coriander, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, or to taste
- 1 large uncooked vidalia onion(s), chopped
- 2 cups uncooked butternut squash, peeled and cut into1/2-inch cubes (about 3/4 lb)
- 3/4 cup(s) uncooked jasmine rice, or basmati rice, rinsed (I used brown)
- 16 halves dried apricot halves, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, or more if needed
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, minced
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub salt and pepper all over chicken; set aside.
- Coat a large oven-proof pot with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add oil; heat until it begins to shimmer. Add cumin, coriander and cinnamon; cook until fragrant, stirring, about 30 second to 1 minute. Add chicken; cook until lightly browned, flipping once, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate; set aside.
- Add onion and squash to pot, scraping down sides and bottom of pot to incorporate pan drippings. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to turn translucent and squash begins to soften, about 10 minutes. Add rice and apricots; place browned chicken on top. Pour in broth; bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Cover pot and bake in oven until rice and squash are tender and chicken is cooked through, checking half way through to see if more broth is needed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving. Yields about 2 cups (including a piece of chicken) per serving.